• Draw your design on the pumpkin with a water-based marker beforehand. Mistakes are erased easily with a damp sponge.
-Dip your pattern in Oil or water to make the pattern curve to the pumpkin for easy carving.
• Cut the lid at an angle so the outside diameter is larger than the inside.This prevents the top from falling into the pumpkin when it shrinks.
• Scoop out seeds and stringy flesh with an ice cream scooper.
• Use an X-Acto knife for details and the tip of a potato peeler to make small circles and curves.
• Reattach a section that is accidentally removed by using a toothpick to pin it back in place.
• To prolong the life of the jack-o'-lantern, seal in moisture by coating all cut surfaces with petroleum jelly or vegetable oil, or cover it with a damp towel when not on display.
I hope those tips will help you in your future pumpkin carvings! I know now i will for sure use toothpicks to re-attach!(i always mess mine up) Also i am always looking for free stencils online,so i thought i would share some of my favorites with you! Most of them are disney, but some are scary!